Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Cesar Chavez Day

It hardly seems fair that almost all California farm workers had to work today while many of us in the state got to enjoy the holiday named for Cesar Chavez, who tried to organize them and get them living wages.

I got to paint today. I got to be grateful to live in California and see parts of the state I'd never seen before, and I give thanks for the people who grow our food and stood up for all farm workers of all countries.

I got to eat locally grown grapefruit, apples, onions, eggplant, and peppers today. This is an amazing state, a place of bounty, where every newly plowed field is acres of promises awaiting fulfillment. I give thanks for daily bread and the hands that prepared it, and even more thanks for the hands that protect those farm workers who still struggle with various forms of oppression.

No comments: