Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Going to the Fair!




One shoe, two shoes, red shoes, blue shoes

Going to the fair.
High heels, spike heels, green heels, my heels
Can't walk on the damn things
anywhere.

It's better to paint high heels and let the painting go to the state fair than to wear the silly pretties myself and expect to walk around the fair in them. That's exactly what these lovelies, painted in oil on 16"x20" stretched canvas will be doing come July 14-31 in Sacramento at the California State Fair.

This picture and the next one, a watercolor on 140-lb. cold press paper, are two of the three I entered and I am delighted to have even one, let alone two pieces accepted. I am particularly pleased that my watercolor is one of only ten watercolor paintings to be exhibited.

If you plan to be in the northern California area during the last half of July, I hope you'll take a day to scope out the fair. Every year the food gets a little more outrageous (Deep-fried Snickers bars) and the art gets more luscious.

Wear comfortable shoes.

This painting is entitled "On the Playground I" and was inspired by a picture taken for me by my son, Sean Olivares, actor, college student, and fellow movie buff, with whom I have spent many happy playground hours.


No comments: